Follow & Subscribe to Resourceful Designer
Considerations When Starting A Graphic Design Business.Starting a graphic design business is a big step in your design career and not one to take lightly. There are many things to consider before jumping in with both feet. In this episode of Resourceful Designer, I go over several topics that you may want to consider before, during and after you've started your graphic design business.
Things to Consider…
Before Starting A Graphic Design Business
- Do you want to work in a specific niche of graphic design?
- Do you want to work from home or have an office away from the house?
- What type of business do you want to start (Incorporated, Sole proprietor)?
- Do you have enough savings to invest in a new business?
- How will you deal with friends and family looking for designs from you?
- How will you name your business?
While Starting A Graphic Design Business
- What type of computer will you use?
- Will you use your home address for your business?
- What will your working hours be?
- What will your rates be?
- What phone number will you use for your business?
- How will you communicate with your graphic design clients?
- How will you accept payment from your graphic design clients?
- You need to acquaint yourself with your bank, accountant and layer.
- How will you handle requests for pro-bono work?
After Starting A Graphic Design Business
- You will need to market your business any way you can.
- You must join clubs and business groups in your area. Including your Chamber of Commerce.
- Contact other local designers for possible partnerships and work trade.
- Contact local printers and suppliers and try to work out discounts for bringing them work.
- You must continue your education and grow as a graphic designer.
- You must take care of yourself both physically and mentally so you don't burn out.
There are many more aspects involved when starting a graphic design business. These are just a few that I came up with that I thought I would share with you. If you can think of more that I missed, add them to the comment section at resourcefuldesigner.com/episode7
Four Week Marketing Boost – FREE GUIDE
Download my FREE guide, the Four Week Marketing Boost to help improve your business' image and create the best first impression possible to attract more clients.
Subscribe to the podcast
Send me feedback
This week I shared three great resources for selecting and managing colours for your clients. I've only recently discovered them but have found them a big help already.
I want to help you.
Running a graphic design or web design business all by yourself isn't easy. If there are any struggles you face running your design business please reach out to me. I'll do my best to help you by addressing your issues in a future blog post or podcast episode here at Resourceful Designer. You can reach me at email@example.com