Follow & Subscribe to Resourceful Designer
Have you ever considered designing in a particular niche?
Graphic and web design is no different. Designers who focus on a particular sector become knows as experts and command more respect and earn more money from clients in that sector.
I've talked about niches before on the podcast. In episode 54; Should You Find A Graphic Design Niche, I explained what a niche is and the benefits of choosing one, as well as not having to limit yourself when you choose a niche. In episode 93; Targetting A Design Niche, I teach you how to go about finding and marketing to your particular niche.
In today's episode of the Resourceful Designer podcast, I'm talking to Craig Burton, owner of School Branding Matters, a New Zealand based branding agency that specialises in helping schools craft compelling visual brands. Craig found his niche and has spent the past ten years building his company and inspiring journeys in school branding.
In this episode you'll hear us discuss:
- How Craig stumbled upon his niche. Hint, he didn't look for his niche, his niche found him.
- The early days of developing his niche
- What worked and what didn't in the process
- Working within his niche before defining it as his niche.
- What came first, his niche or his business focusing on the niche.
- How Craig learns about and creates unique brands for similar and yet very different institutions in his niche.
- Conflicting branding ideas for different schools.
- How Craig attracts clients ten years into his business.
- Repeat clients, branding is more than a logo; it's a journey.
- The Pros and Cons of working in a specific niche.
- How working in a niche requires a passion for that sector.
- Competing with non-niching designers
- Working with non-niche clients.
- How Craig has changed as a designer over the past ten years.
What's your experience with working in a design niche?
Do you work in a design niche? Let me know what your experiences are by leaving a comment for this episode.
Resourceful Designer is available on.
Or download the Resourceful Designer App
I would love to hear from you. You can send me questions and feedback using my feedback form.
I want to help you.
Running a graphic design or web design business all by yourself isn't easy. If there are any struggles you face running your design business, please reach out to me. I'll do my best to help you by addressing your issues in a future blog post or podcast episode here at Resourceful Designer. You can reach me at email@example.com